- #BabaWhileYouWereGone, @APCNigeria tweeted the silliest thing about you and TinubuPosted 2 hours ago
- Enugu APC is condemning the REC for visiting a politician but nobody complained when it was AmaechiPosted 3 hours ago
- See what @EditiEffiong started: These #BabaWhileYouWereGone tweets are the most HILARIOUS ever (READ)Posted 6 hours ago
- The Crown Prince of Benin is not happy with something the PDP has been doingPosted 10 hours ago
- “I just went off for a couple of weeks to rest”: What Buhari said when he returnedPosted 15 hours ago
- They won’t stop him, but the PDP says Gov. Fayose is only speaking for himself on JegaPosted 17 hours ago
- The battle continues: Buhari returns to Nigeria (See Photos)Posted 18 hours ago
- This politics of a thing: Tinubu’s love speech at OBJ’s birthday event will make you laugh… or cryPosted 1 day ago
- “Patience Jonathan is right, Buhari is brain dead”: FFK, the drama king, had 6 things to say todayPosted 1 day ago
- Abba Mahmood: ‘D’ for desperation while Nigeria is slowly grinding to a haltPosted 1 day ago
The beef is real: Only one governor attends wedding of Bamanga Tukur’s son
by Paul Osas
Well, it’s not like we enjoy comparing politicians or anything of that sort but we couldn’t resist.
Only last week, the wedding between the son of former vice president of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar, and the daughter of a former governor of Bauchi, Adamu Muazu took place in Bauchi. The guest list was impressive – the speaker of the House of Representatives was there, 8 governors were present, as well as several former governors, a former head of state and the world’s richest black man.
So when the son of the chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Bamanga Tukur, was getting married in Katsina on Friday, it was expected that the roll call would be similarly impressive, after all he is the chairman of the largest party in Africa with the power to suspend and recall erring governors.
It didn’t turn out that way.
Of the nation’s 36 governors, only one – the host governor, Ibrahim Shema of Katsina – was present.
The only reason why it is important to point that out is not because it detracts from the wedding but because it shows the widening gulf between the party boss and the governors in the party.
Only this week, Tukur engaged in a war of words with the Sokoto governor, Aliyu Wamakko, who the PDP’s National Working Committee (NWC) recently suspended. The Tukur led NWC also recently suspended the Rivers governor, Rotimi Amaechi. Presently, 9 Northern governors are believed to be pressing for his removal.
The wedding went on smoothly and there were several other dignitaries present to be sure, including Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed; former Minister of Defence, Dr. Bello Halliru; business mogul, Dr. Hassan Adamawa, and several leaders of PDP.
Tukur’s son, Muhammad Tukur is an engineer, and his bride, Badiyya Isah Katsina, a medical doctor, is the daughter of Alhaji Isah Katsina, the former secretary to the Katsina state government in the Umaru Yaradua administration as state governor.
The wedding reception took place at the Katsina Government House.
Again, we do not wish to compare, but just for the records, Atiku Abubakar’s son paid N1 million and provided a car as dowry; Tukur’s son paid N50, 000.