- “I’m capable, competent,younger and richer than Buhari but I sacrificed my ambition for him”- TinubuPosted 4 hours ago
- Dele Momodu: The pastors and the rest of usPosted 5 hours ago
- Don Jazzy, Tiwa Savage, Dammy Krane, Davido, Olamide perform at APC rally in LagosPosted 5 hours ago
- Onye Nkuzi: Oga Fashola, face your workPosted 15 hours ago
- PDP accuses the APC of trying to shield Buhari from exposing his “intellectual laziness” on TVPosted 15 hours ago
- “Our father is neutral”: Family of ex-pres. Shagari asks PDP to leave his name out of their campaignPosted 16 hours ago
- “Jonathan or war”: Clearly, these Niger Delta militants (and their wives) are not remorseful at allPosted 17 hours ago
- “Allow me prove to you that in your lifetime, you can be proud of this country” – Buhari speaks outPosted 18 hours ago
- “I’ve removed the heart of a military man from me,but Buhari still has heart of a tyrant” – Gov JangPosted 23 hours ago
- May Allah forgive any mad person who says I am a supporter of the Boko Haram sect – GEJPosted 1 day ago
The beef is real: Only one governor attends wedding of Bamanga Tukur’s son
by Paul Osas
Well, it’s not like we enjoy comparing politicians or anything of that sort but we couldn’t resist.
Only last week, the wedding between the son of former vice president of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar, and the daughter of a former governor of Bauchi, Adamu Muazu took place in Bauchi. The guest list was impressive – the speaker of the House of Representatives was there, 8 governors were present, as well as several former governors, a former head of state and the world’s richest black man.
So when the son of the chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Bamanga Tukur, was getting married in Katsina on Friday, it was expected that the roll call would be similarly impressive, after all he is the chairman of the largest party in Africa with the power to suspend and recall erring governors.
It didn’t turn out that way.
Of the nation’s 36 governors, only one – the host governor, Ibrahim Shema of Katsina – was present.
The only reason why it is important to point that out is not because it detracts from the wedding but because it shows the widening gulf between the party boss and the governors in the party.
Only this week, Tukur engaged in a war of words with the Sokoto governor, Aliyu Wamakko, who the PDP’s National Working Committee (NWC) recently suspended. The Tukur led NWC also recently suspended the Rivers governor, Rotimi Amaechi. Presently, 9 Northern governors are believed to be pressing for his removal.
The wedding went on smoothly and there were several other dignitaries present to be sure, including Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Minister, Senator Bala Mohammed; former Minister of Defence, Dr. Bello Halliru; business mogul, Dr. Hassan Adamawa, and several leaders of PDP.
Tukur’s son, Muhammad Tukur is an engineer, and his bride, Badiyya Isah Katsina, a medical doctor, is the daughter of Alhaji Isah Katsina, the former secretary to the Katsina state government in the Umaru Yaradua administration as state governor.
The wedding reception took place at the Katsina Government House.
Again, we do not wish to compare, but just for the records, Atiku Abubakar’s son paid N1 million and provided a car as dowry; Tukur’s son paid N50, 000.