- Petroleum Industry Bill passes second reading in senate (Download the complete PIB)Posted 1 min ago
- Govs. Fashola and Okorocha visit Ladipo market; expect market to be opened in hoursPosted 1 min ago
- Rivers assembly passes vote of confidence on Gov. Amaechi; pro-Wike members disagreePosted 6 mins ago
- “You cannot declare amnesty for ghosts”: Pres. Jonathan begins official visit to Yobe and BornoPosted 13 hours ago
- PDP repackages its publicity directorate, appoints CNN award winner as COO of editorial teamPosted 23 hours ago
- Olusegun Adeniyi: The politics of a certificatePosted 23 hours ago
- Chuks Oluigbo: Igbos, think home!Posted 24 hours ago
- Emeka Nobis: How witches underdeveloped NigeriaPosted 24 hours ago
- Abdul Mahmud: The abandoned generationPosted 24 hours ago
- Nana Nwachukwu: A morning encounter with a street lawyerPosted 24 hours ago
Petroleum Industry Bill passes second reading in senate (Download the complete PIB)
by Dare Lawal
There’s hardly an interest group in the oil and gas sector which hasn’t at one time or the other, had issues with the Petroleum Industry Bill currently being debated before the national assembly.
Oil majors, legislators, governors, oil producing communities, non-oil producing communities, and ordinary Nigerians have faulted different parts of the proposed law.
All the various voices of discontent have contributed in stalling the bill which has been before the national assembly since 2008, making it one of the most delayed bills since 1999.
This week, after a heated debate in which senators largely took positions across ethnic and regional lines, the bill finally passed second reading in the senate and was apprved for committee stage, where it would be fine-tuned for final voting.
Download the full PIB below: