- Statesman: Pres. Jonathan calls and congratulates Buhari and TinubuPosted 11 hours ago
- Gov. Fayose hails Buhari and Jonathan; says Nigerians must accept election resultPosted 13 hours ago
- Breaking: PDP agent protest at national collation centre; stops Jega from announcing resultsPosted 18 hours ago
- Nigeria presidential election results announced so far in one chartPosted 1 day ago
- Shocker: Buhari wins Benue statePosted 1 day ago
- Do it like Jonathan: INEC sets up committee to investigate Rivers election crisisPosted 1 day ago
- Buhari wins in Adamawa statePosted 1 day ago
- Here’s how Pres. Jonathan won his home state of BayelsaPosted 1 day ago
- PDP Gov. Dakingari of Kebbi also loses senate racePosted 1 day ago
- Pres. Jonathan wins Akwa Ibom with about 900,000 votesPosted 1 day ago
My resignation is not on the agenda of NEC meeting – Bamanga Tukur
by Segun Odeleye
Contrary to media reports that the fate of PDP chairman Bamanga Tukur would be discussed during next week’s meeting of the PDP National Caucus, Board of Trustees (BoT) and the National Executive Committee (NEC) meetings, the man has come forward to say that nothing of such was on the agenda.
Speaking to Thisday newspaper, Tukur said that he was the one who summoned the National Caucus and the NEC meetings to be held on January 6 and 8 and “I can assure you that the agenda of these meeting has no leadership change. My resignation or ouster by the NEC is by no means part of the agenda of these meetings.”
Speaking further, he said that the reason he summoned the meetings was for party members to address some of the issues affecting PDP as a political party “and to make PDP come out stronger after these meetings. There is no leadership problem or crisis in the PDP.”
He said “The NEC meeting will focus on how to strengthen our party as one united family. It is the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party that prepares agenda of the NEC meeting and I can assure you that change of leadership is not part of the January 8 meeting.”
He accused those speculating on his resignation of producing distraction but said the party would not give them the opportunity to do so.
“These people making these allegations are merely trying to get to their main target, who is President Jonathan. They know that my loyalty to the president is absolute and therefore they want to get at me first and make the president vulnerable. I was the person who raised his hand in the north during the presidential campaign and they know that the first target to get to before Jonathan is me. This is why they are doing what they are doing because of my absolute loyalty to President Jonathan. All these are mere distractions, all they want to do is to destroy me and then get across to Jonathan. This is because they know I will not agree to betray the president. This is why I am the target now,” he said.