A senator from President Muhammadu Buhari’s own ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) on Wednesday spared no words in criticizing the president on a host of issues.
Bauchi Sen. Isa Misau who has not exactly been the biggest supporter of this government issued his biggest denunciation of the president yet.
Below are the five main points Misau made during his presentation during the senate’s plenary.
- The Buhari administration is populated with incompetent people, according to Misau. But that’s not even the worst part. The senator argued that those incompetent people have now even taken over the reins with some of them acting as though they are above the president. In his opinion, all these prove that Buhari is not thinking about how best to move Nigeria forward.“So many incompetent people are holding so many positions. Fifty per cent of the ministers are not performing. Since the president assumed office he has not taken any decision to move this country. Today we are seeing it and everybody is avoiding it, nobody wants to say anything. So many appointments in this government are not on merit. Some people have taken over the government as if they are even above the president. They take decisions anyhow,” he said.
- The senator referenced a particular case – the appointment of the new Director General of the Nigeria Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ahmed Abubakar on January 10. Misau said the man is unfit to hold the role because he is a known failure but was appointed solely through favouritism.“Today, the DG NIA that was just appointed, is he qualified to be there? He’s not qualified. This is the person that failed two exams, we know. He failed two exams and just because he is close to people taking decisions, he was appointed.”
- Misau made an observation and asked a question concerning Buhari’s anti-corruption war which everyone needs to ask. If the administration is not prosecuting a biased war, how is it that Babachir Lawal, the former SGF who was accused of embezzling funds meant for IDPs is walking scot-free. In fact, according to Misau, the former SGF is still a frequent visitor to the presidential villa.”We say we are fighting corruption, Babachir that the vice-president’s committee indicted. Today, they are pursuing other people, why can’t they take Babachir (Lawal, former SGF) to court and all of us are here keeping quiet. People who have not done anything are always in court. This is the man that squandered money meant for IDPs and he is still visiting villa every day.”
- Echoing what most Nigerians have been saying and what The Punch newspaper brilliantly spoke about in its editorial yesterday, Misau mentioned that the Attorney-General has become a nuisance. AGF Malami acts as one in bed with corrupt people as evidenced by his recent attemopt to stop the senate’s probe into the recall of Abdulrasheed Maina into the Civil Service.“This Attorney-General is becoming a nuisance, going to court to stop Maina (probe) and we are still here. The IG came here with a lawyer that he is not going to answer any question from the Senate. After that he went to institute an order restraining Senate from investigating him.“
- According to Sen. Misau, there was yet another recent plot to remove senate president Bukola Saraki. He said the effort was spearheaded by a minister who he did not name.“When we were on holiday, so many people were going behind that they should try and remove the senate president. And it was a minister that was spearheading that thing. What is the reason, they said that the senate president would leave APC that they should create problems for him (Saraki). What kind of country is this? Everything is about religion, about tribe.”