There is a fresh opinion on who the likely perpetrators of the brutal killings recorded in Benue state last week are.
The popular opinion has been that the Fulani herdsmen carried out the killings in Logo and Guma LGAs which has resulted in the loss of about 80 lives. In fact, the Miyetti Allah group of herdsmen has claimed responsibility.
But a former Director of the Department of State Security Services (DSS), Mike Ejiofor has a different take.
Ejiofor believes that Boko Haram insurgents fleeing their North East enclaves upon recent military bombardment are responsible for the attacks.
According to the former intel chief, the weapons used for the Benue killings were sophisticated and similar to those used by the Boko Haram sect and he suggests there is an intelligence failure due to the inability to crackdown on the attackers.
He presented his thoughts on a Channels TV Monday programme, as follows:
“I suspect very strongly too that these people are fleeing Boko Haram members who took to their heels when the military turned the heat in the northeast.
“The sophistication in which they operate, the arms they use calls to question what our intelligence services are doing.
“We should be able to identify these people. We should be able to know what they want because Miyetti Allah, the national body dissociated themselves from this.
“In Benue for instance, the Miyetti Allah said they cannot obey the law. And at the same time, they said Fulani people were not involved. It is a contradiction.”