President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, to immediately relocate to Benue State. This follows the renewed killings of Benue residents by Fulani herdsmen.
The presidential directive:
– For the IGP to relocate to Benue
– For the IGP to immediately restore law and order, prevent further loss of lives and forestall the crisis from escalating and spreading in the state.
What the police is doing, according to the Force Public Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood:
– The IGP is moving into Benue state with additional five units of Police Mobile Force (PMF), making a total of ten units of PMF deployed in the state which is in addition to other police formations on the ground in the state before the crisis.
– More units of the Police Special Forces, Counter Terrorism Units, and Conventional Policemen are already being deployed to the state to comply in totality with the presidential order.
– The Aerial Surveillance by Police Helicopters will continue.