On Monday, the Imo governor Rochas Okorocha swore-in 28 new commissioners and 81 transition committee members of the state’s 27 local government areas. The appointments came ten months after he dissolved the former Imo State Executive Council.
Talking Point: Okorocha who frequently gets a bad rap for his leadership style and priorities appointed his younger sister, Ogechi Ololo, as a commissioner. On its own, the appointment is a matter for debate. However, the portfolio is an even bigger problem – Mrs. Ololo was sworn-in as the new Commissioner for Happiness and Couples’ Fulfillment. It would be interesting to know the job description of the commissioner.
Quote: “You are the privileged group that has the opportunity to make names for yourselves, and put your signatures in the sands of time. I want to remind all of you that this appointment is not business as usual. We shall not tolerate any sharp practice or corruption of any type. Neither shall we accept indolence or laziness. You have been called to duty to help us achieve our vision in the Rescue Mission Project,” Okorocha said.
Names and portfolios of new commissioners:
- Prof. Nnamdi Obiaraeri (Information),
- Ugochi Nnana – Okoro (Agric. and Food Security),
- Hon. Gertrude Oduka (Primary & Secondary Education),
- Chief Dr. Jones Uzoka (Niger Delta Affairs),
- Hon. Uchendu Chijioke Mark (Public Utilities),
- Hon. Gerald C. Okolie (Rural Development),
- Hon. Dr. Cyril Okafor (Tourism),
- Emmanuel Umunnakwe Ojinere (Trade & Investment),
- Chief Lasbery Anyanwu (Transport),
- Hon. Onwueyiagwu Valentine (Youth Development),
- Mrs. Ngozi Njoku (Gender & Social Development),
- Hon. Chief Mrs Josephine Udoji (Works),
- Hon. Achilike Nwawuike (Internal Resources & Pension Matters),
- Prof. Emenalo Chizoba (Tertiary Education),
- Hon. Nwamerenini Chukwuka (Labour),
- Hon. Dr. Iyke Njoku (Planning, Budget & Statistics),
- Hon. Emma Ibediro (Local Government),
- Hon. Barr. Obinna Mbata (Finance),
- Hon Martin Ohiri (Sports),
- Hon. Mgbeanulu Obinna (Environment & Natural Resources),
- Hon. Emma Buka Iwuanyanwu (Science & Technology & Vocational Education),
- Mrs. Angela Uwakwem (Health),
- Hon. Lady Joy Mbawuike (Informal Sector & Market Development),
- Chief Tony Umezuruike (Housing),
- Hon. Prince Chidi Nwaturuocha (Public Safety),
- Hon. Ernest Nwigbo (Inter-Government Affairs & Donor Agencies),
- Hon Duru Okechukwu (CGC & Traditional Affairs),
- Hon. Emeka Benjamin (Special Duties),
- Chief Kingsley Uju (Supervisory Commissioner Ministry of Land and Chairman Bureau for Land),
- Mrs. Ogechi Ololo as the Commissioner for Happiness and Couples’ Fulfillment.
The Transition Committee Chairmen also sworn-in are; Okechukwu Victor Onyechere (Ideato South). Onomeze (Ihitte Uboma). Sir Anyehe Okeneme (Ikeduru). Julius Onyeneho (Isiala Mbano). Akas Paschal, (Isu). Steve Odoemena (Mbaitoli). Eke Sylvester Chidi (Ngor Okpala). Aloysius Onwuegbuchulam (Njaba). Paschal Onwukaike (Nkwerre). Chief Bona Akwaiwu (Nwangele). Chidi Nwoke, (Obowo). Mgborokwu G. (Oguta). Amadi Ebenezar (Ohaji/Egbema). Benneth Ilochuonwu, (Okigwe). Uche Lebechi, (Onuimo). Onyeocha Obinna, (Orlu). Mrs. Ihekire Ngozi, (Orsu). Barrister Duru Evaristus, (Oru East). Okoro Obinna, (Oru West). Ojirisi Alex, (Owerri Municipal). Mrs. Esther Eburuche, (Aboh Mbaise). Sir Edmund Enwereji, (Ahiazu Mbaise). Onuoha Franca, (Ehime Mbano) Anyanwu Bob, (Ezinihitte Mbaise). Kingsley Uche Onwuka, (Ideato North). Ofurum Kelechi, (Owerri North ). Hon. Osigwe Victor, (Owerri West).