More than a year after President Muhammadu Buhari claimed that the terrorist group, Boko Haram, had been technically defeated, the group continues to carry out attacks which have led to the deaths of up to 200 Nigerians in the last 6 months alone.
Most Recent: The most recent attack by the terrorist sect occurred just yesterday at the main market in Biu town, Biu Local Government Area of Borno State. 13 people were reportedly killed in the attack which was carried out by two female suicide bombers, according to the Borno police spokesman, DSP Victor Isuku. Also, about 53 people were injured.
Under-reported tragedies: The prevailing narrative in the media is that the the Buhari administration has decimated Boko Haram. But the group continues to attack and kill Nigerians in high numbers, although the attacks are mostly via suicide attacks and not the coordinated type prevalent in the past.
Below is an incomplete timeline of recent attacks since July 201, some of which were not even recognized by officials of the administration in any statement:
- July 12: About 19 killed and 23 injured in Maiduguri when four suicide bombers struck.
- July 18: 12 people killed in a mosque attack at London Ciki, Jere local government area (LGA) of Borno state; 18 injured.
- July 25: At least 69 people killed in a Boko Haram ambush of an oil exploration team in the Magumeri area od Borno state.
- July 27: Four people killed in attack at Mandirari Village in Konduga LGA of Borno state.
- July 29: 14 people killed in Dikwa town, Borno.
- August 1: 7 killed in Mildu village of Madagali LGA of Adamawa State.
- August 8: 31 fishermen killed in Duguri and Dabar Wanzam islands of Borno
- August 15: 27 killed and 83 injured in Konduga attack.
- August 16: 28 killed in Mandarari village of Borno
- August 23: 6 killed in Kijimatari village, Borno.
- September 9: 7 killed in IDP camp in Ngala.
- September 18: 18 people killed in Kurumari village.
- September 18: 13 killed in Mashemari village.
- September 22: At least 9 killed in Rann.
- September 30: 2 killed in Bama.
- October 12: 5 killed in Belbela village.
- October 20: 3 Nigerian soldiers killed.
- October 23: 16 killed and 18 injured in Maiduguri.
- October 30: 6 killed in attack in Bama mosque.
- October 31: 4 killed and 12 wounded in attack along Banki-Maiduguri road.
- November 16: 18 killed and 29 injured in Muna Gari attack.
- November 22: Over 50 dead in Mubi, Adamawa mosque attack.
This already brings the total in six months to 381, and as mentioned earlier, this list is not conclusive. Sad!