The house of the late leader and founder of the Boko Haram sect, Mohammed Yusuf, will be converted into a museum by the Borno state government, according to the state commissioner for home affairs, information and culture, Dr. Mohammed Bulama.
The state government also intends to revive the Games Reserve at the Sambisa Forest, and mark December 22 – the day the military declared that it had regained control of Ground Zero in Sambisa Forest – as a public holiday in the state.
Speaking in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on the sidelines of the 9th National Council for Culture, Tourism and National Orientation which held in Dutse, Jigawa, Bulama said:
- The museum at Yusuf’s home, “where the insurgency started”, would help to archive all things related to the Boko Haram insurgency in order to attract tourists and for the benefits of future generation. “The place is called Maarcas; we want to build a museum there where all the things that had happened relating to the insurgency will be archived,” the commissioner said.
Yusuf was killed in 2009 by Nigerian security agents while in the custody of the police, however the sect he founded grew even more militant after his death, rising to become one of the most murderous terrorist groups in the world in the past decade. Boko Haram’s most recent attack in Adamawa, Nigeria, last week left at least 50 people dead.
On the conversion of Sambisa forest into a tourist destination, Bulama said:
- The Games Reserve will be revived.
“Every Dec. 22, will be declared a public holiday in Borno because that is the day the military declared that they had captured Ground Zero in Sambisa forest. What we intend to do when stability is fully achieved is to convert the forest into a tourist attraction in order to show the world what has happened,” he said.