by Segun Odeleye
At an event organised in Lagos yesterday for technology journalists by the Electronic Payment Providers Association of Nigeria (EPPAN), the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement Statistics (NIBSS) was made available and it brought up some interesting numbers.
Here are six interesting facts according to the data, which is correct as at July 2014:
– The total number of bank accounts in Nigeria was 70.18 million.
– Of the 70.18 million, 15.45 million are current accounts, while 51.59 million are savings accounts.
– The total number of corporate accounts in Nigeria are 5.37 million; and the total number of individuals account is 64.81million.
– The number of Nigerians with bank accounts is still however below 30 million people
– There are currently about 13, 770 ATMs in Nigeria. As at July 2014, the ATMs have recorded 214.63 million transactions worth about N2 trillion.
– The number of active payment cards on the ATMs is about 41.89 million.